No announcement yet.

Please identify this "five pointed star" bush

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please identify this "five pointed star" bush

Hello.* I found this bush (?) last week (early December) in Willamette Valley region of* Oregon.* The five point stars are quite handsome.* I searched for the keyword "star" but could not find its name.* I'd appreciate if someone could tell me what the name of this plant is.* Thank you!

Hi Labelcollector,

The interesting plant you have found is Clerodendron trichotomum aka harlequin glorybower.* The berries are poisonious and the red/pink you see surrounding the berries are the calyx.* The flowers are fragrant and the leaves smell like peanut butter when crushed.* It spreads by the berries and suckers.

Unfortunately, it is considered an in invasive plant in some areas of Oregon, so if you have discovered it in a wild or park area, I would suggest you report it to the proper authorities such as your local DNR (Department of Natural Resources).* They will probably want to remove it.* It is planted all over Oregon and can be more invasive in the wetter areas.

The Seattle Times had an article about it once.* I think it was in 2006.

"Harlequin glorybower (Clerodendrum trichotomum var. fargesii) is a razzle-dazzle carnival of a plant. While most of the year it offers quiet charms, come autumn it explodes with a show of nearly unbelievable colors. A small deciduous tree (to 8 to 10 feet), the variety fargesii has large leaves that come on bronze in the spring, turn mid-green in summer, and offer a surprising scent of peanut butter. Sweetly fragrant little white flowers bloom in late summer, but the main justification for giving it garden space becomes clear in late September and October when brilliant pink calyxes surround vivid turquoise fruit for an inspired combination of colors in the autumn garden."

Dear Newt,

Wow, thank you so much for the quick and very informative reply.* It's great to put a name to a face.* The one I photographed is located in the urban area on a private property next to a sidewalk, so someone must have placed it there.* Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

Labelcollector, you are so very welcome!* It was nice to see this plant again, even if it is invasive in some areas.