No announcement yet.

Umbrella bamboo, how do we get rid of it?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umbrella bamboo, how do we get rid of it?

We've just purchased a home in Pensacola, Florida.* It has a very nice in-ground waterfall-type fountain in the backyard.* Unfortunately, directly behind it is planted Umbrella bamboo (which I just DON'T like).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it?* It stands approximately 3'-4' high right now and is approximately 3' in width.

I've read where you can cut it down to the ground level, split each bamboo shaft and put some type of growth inhibitor in it and then dig it up.** Since the bamboo shafts themselves are relatively small, I don't see how we can "split" them.

Is there a "quick" fix to it to die so we can dig it up and put something prettier near the fountain?

Congratulations on your new home!* Often common names for plants can be misleading.* When you say you have umbrella bamboo I'm thinking you are talking about Fargesia murielae.

This is a clump forming bamboo and the culms grow facing outward.* You should be able to just dig out the clumps.* I would suggest you cut the canes near the ground first.* If you live near a zoo that has pandas you might consider donating the canes to them as these are an important food for the giant panda.

In the US there are a total of 11 giant pandas.* They are at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park in Washington, D.C., Zoo Atlanta in Georgia, the Memphis Zoo in Tennessee, and southern California's San Diego Zoo.