No announcement yet.

ways to kill bugs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ways to kill bugs

I have a basil plant that is getting eaten alive by a bug.* All of my other plants are doing fine in that area.* But my basil has holes all over.* How do I get rid of whatever is eating it, and does anyone have an idea of what may be eating it?* I live in N. GA.* in a wooded area by a lake.* I have heard of garlic and hot peppers brewed should kill them but I don't know how to do that.* Any sugestions?

Hi Newtoitall,

First it's best to know thine enemy before you start spraying.* I suspect you may have slugs since you don't mention seeing any pest.* These pests appear at night.* There are a couple of ways to find out and several organic ways of dealing with them.*

You could set out grapefruit or orange peel halves.* In the morning check to see if they're hiding under them.* A damp board will also be a place they will hide under.

If you have any beer you could put some in a small margarine type container.* Just an inch or so and set it next to the plants in the evening.* Check in the morning to see if you have any that have drowned.* If so, that is your pest.* You can set out containers of beer for them and empty them daily.* Diatomaceous earth also works well.* You will need the food grade and wear a mask so you don't breathe in the dust.* Here's more ideas for dealing with slugs.

If that's not it, lmk and I'll do more searching.

do slugs also eat broccolli?* I havent noticed until just now, but those leaves have small holes in them too!*

They sure do.

If you want to get rid of slugs, place eggshells around the plant. Slugs cannot crawl over the shells. If slugs are the problem, this should eliminate them.

Slugs are easy to get rid of, cut the bottom off a plastic bottle to about 3 inches tall and set it 1.5 inches in the ground, and fill it half full of beer. NO kidding! the slugs will go to it like bees to a hive, and drown in happiness!.

Egg shells work as well, but I use Diatomaceous Earth, a fine dust that is microscopic ground up sea shells and it is so abrasive on the insects that it just kills them ( I wont describe how.. this is a family channel..)

Another thing to do is soil remineralization, just google it.. your plants will love you for it.

Cheers.. Tim

Hi Tim,

Great ideas.* I do hope you wear a dust mask when using diatomaceous earth.* It's harmful to breathe it into your lungs.

Daitomaceous earth or diatoms is a good bug eliminator but it has use for aquarium filtration as well, especially for freshwater.

I believe diatomaceous earth works so well because it cuts then dehydrates the insects, except for fleas and could be expensive overtime but i cant recall how long it lasts.

# lways use clean pots and planters when repotting
                  # Always use sterile potting soil. Using garden soil can have disastrous effects.
                  # Isolate any new plants for a month or so, and check them frequently for signs of insects or disease. This also applies to any of your plants that may have been outside for the summer.
                  # Promptly remove dead flowers or leaves.
                  # Give your plant a bath now and then with a soft cloth and a little soapy lukewarm water.
                  # Examine your plants now and then, don't wait for them to start looking sad. Use a magnifying glass to look for mites
                  Proper feeding, care and fresh air make a healthy plant which is more resistant to insect problems.