No announcement yet.

Climbing Vines in Zone 7

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing Vines in Zone 7

I have just built a cedar trellis to shield a portion of my yard from the lovely garbage cans in the alley outside my town home. I have a very small almost completely shaded yard that so far consists of weeds, dense dirt, glass art and a small flowering tree. My plan is to grow some vines up the trellis, use brick or rock for ground cover and plant some impatiens around the edges. It all seems to be coming together but I have no idea what to plant! I wanted to plant hydrangea but found out it can destroy wood. So Iím looking for a climbing vine that meets the following criteria:

Zone 7
    Almost total shade
    Grows fast
    Wont damage wood
    Can grow at least 5-6 feet
    Not Ivy! Ivy seems to be the only thing Iíve found that matches my criteria and while I think Ivy is lovely growing on a brick home it isnít right for my yard.
    *Any suggestions and/or tips would be greatly appreciated! I am a gardening novice but I have saved several houseplants from dying and have no problem working with plants that take special care or time.

Hi Katy,

I'm a bit confused as you say you want an annual vine, but the two you name - ivy and hydrangea are both perennial.* Do you want one you need to plant yearly or one that returns?* Not sure you'll find anything for so much shade that will grow fast.*

Btw, not sure about the hydrangea destroying wood.* I've not heard that.

[align=left]I would like a perenial. Sorry for the confusion. I got them mixed up. :) I read that hydgrangea can damage wood on the Better Homes and Garden website.[/align]

I read the article and since you will be growing it on a trellis, I don't think you would have much to worry about.* Climbing hydrangea takes a long time to establish itself and may not climb much for 5 years or more.* It will eventually get HUGE.*

There are few perennial vines for shade and most are invasive.* Boston ivy, yes it's an ivy but not evergreen, can take over.* Five leaf akebia can also take over and does best with some sun.* There are Clematis that will grow in a north facing wall.* That would mean bright conditions but no direct sun.* Maybe these would work for you and not be invasive.

Most perennial vines will need time for their roots to develop enough to support all that top growth.* Keep in mind that you probably won't see much top growth for 3 years.